Sunday, August 5, 2007

High Gylcemic White Potatoes

Taken From 'The Genetic Key Diet' by Dr. Steve Nugent
Most people have heard of the food Glycaemic Index. The rate at which your blood sugar rises after eating is extremely important. When you consume a food with a high-glycaemic index, it causes your blood sugar to rise above normal, and this in turn causes your insulin to rise. This increase of blood sugar has many negative effects above the obvious, such as abnormally increasing your appetite. Sharp sugar spikes result in sharp sugar drops which cause you to crave high-glycaemic, fattening foods.
In Dr. Nugents' book the question is asked "Why are mashed white potatoes slightly lower than baked white potatoes?'
'Simple, these mashed potatoes had some milk added to them and milk contains both fat and protein, which are both 0 Glycaemic(G), so that lowers the total index very slightly. The bottom line, however, is that they are both still high G, regardless, white potatoes are not native to any continent, except America. The English Jamestown colonists brought them back to England as gifts from the Indians along with tobacco. Some gift........... It is almost impossible to find any descendants of the Native Americans who were adapted to the potato, so, for all practical purposes consider them high G for everyone.'
'Yes, I love them too. Everyone I know does. Since I changed my lifestyle to Low G in 1998. I have not eaten one. I miss the aroma, taste, and texture - I love them; but life is full of choices and I choose to live healthy. So I keep low G. You cannot make excuses for unhealthy foods. Ultimately, the choice is yours. I hope you choose wisely.'

Mannatech Inc. provides glyconutrients which occur naturally in many plants. Glyconutrients are not just one of the most recent discoveries, but without question, the most important for supporting human health. Mannatech Inc. produces glyconutrients, antioxidants and their optimal skin care.

No comments: